Sunday, September 27, 2009

Chapter 3

E POV

I watched my Bella leave with that human boy. I felt Emmett’s hands pin my shoulders in a death grip to keep me from stopping them. My growls were getting steadily louder the further she walked away from me. That boy had his hand wrapped possessively around her waist as he led her down the street. I wanted to rip it from his body and beat him with it. She wasn’t his to touch, she was mine.

“Edward, people are beginning to stare. You need to keep it under control,” Rosalie warned. “Emmett, drag his ass out of here and take him hunting or something. I’m sure there’s a rock formation somewhere around here he could crush that no one would notice was missing.” She gave me an evil smirk. “I’m sure Bella and Mike,” she stressed his name to me, “are only going somewhere private to make out.”

I whipped my head around at her, snarling, and was suddenly staring up at my family from the ground, Emmett’s foot planted firmly on my neck. I held my hands up in a sign of surrender so he’d let me up. He yanked me to my feet a little harder than necessary as a further warning.

“I know you’re feeling the effects of finding your mate tonight, Edward. But I’m warning you,” he growled low and menacingly at me, “do not snarl at my Rosie again.” His serious demeanor changed to his normal goofy grin. “I doubt you’d make any headway with your Bella without that pretty boy face of yours.”

I was sure the sudden change in atmosphere was thanks to Jasper coming toward us as quickly as humanly possible with Alice tucked safely beneath his arm. She must have seen our altercation was about to escalate out of control.

“Guys, it’s going to be hard for Edward to pursue Bella if we have to move tonight,” Alice warned quietly.

“I’m sorry, Emmett,” I said, grasping his hand in a handshake truce. I looked at my sister, careful to keep my expression non-threatening. “But please keep your wife under control. Until Bella accepts my claim, I don’t want to hear anymore comments about her being with another male.”

My sister had the good sense to look guilty before shaking it off. She wasn’t one to ever admit she was wrong. She shrugged her shoulders at me. “Geesh Edward, learn to take a joke.” She turned her bored expression to her husband, tossing her hair back. “Emmett, I want to go home now. There’s no reason to stay now that she’s gone and I’m bored.”

***

A POV

We discussed Bella with Carlisle and Esme when we arrived back at the house. We decided that Rosalie and I would go with Bella tomorrow to get “operation Bella” underway. Edward was concerned about Mike wanting to date her and didn’t want to take any chances so the guys would meet us later in town.

“Jasper, what emotions did you feel coming from them?” I asked. We were finishing our hunt and running back to the house.

“Well, the guy really does like her. His lust for her was through the roof. I’d say it’s a close second to what I felt coming from Edward when you were talking to her. But not close to what I feel for you.” He chuckled and squeezed my hand.

I swear I love this man.

“What about Bella?”

“She feels very friendly toward him, but a lot of frustration also. There is some desire there, but it hasn’t grown yet. I think Edward may have to work at this a little.”

“Did you feel anything when she was looking at Edward?” After all, this was the key, I knew.

“Now that’s what was interesting. She felt intimidated when he looked at her, but there was desire also.” He frowned a little in thought. “Alice, I just don’t see how he’s going to overcome a human’s natural instinct to fear us, to ever get her to fall in love with him.”

“Well, my love, that’s where you and I come in.” I stroked his cheek and laughed. “I will be able to tell if she gets any closer to Mike, or anyone else, and stop it. You are going to use your wonderful gift and do a little manipulating when it’s needed.”

“What do you mean? If we manipulate her into loving him then it won’t last. That’ll just be worse for Edward than if he never found anyone.”

I shook my head at Jasper. “No, no we’re not going to force her to love him. That’s not what I mean. Edward would be devastated if she doesn’t truly love him. I love Edward and I want him to be as happy as the rest of us. We need a complete family and this includes Bella.

“Consider your gift more of a nudge or roadblock when needed. If she’s around Edward and feels intimidated or afraid, help her get past it. A little bit of desire won’t hurt in the beginning just to get things rolling. She and Edward can take it from there. And when she’s with Mike or someone is talking about him to her, then keep that annoyance factor as high as it is now so it overrides any chance of her feelings becoming more.”

He pulled me into a hug kissing the top of my head. “You really are a little minx, aren’t you? I’m so glad I know never to bet against you. Edward better appreciate everything we’re doing to help him with this.”

I laughed and kissed him back. “Oh, he will.” I tapped the side of my head and we continued back to the house.

***

EPOV

I heard Alice and Rosalie leave in her car to get Bella. The plan was for Jasper, Emmett, and I to run into them this afternoon at the mall and convince her to go to spend the afternoon with me and come back to the house for the evening. This would prevent her from spending time with that boy, Mike, today. According to Alice, we weren’t going to be able to stop every interaction between them, but I planned to do everything in my power to stop him from touching her ever again. I wanted to make my claim known and have her accept it immediately.

Carlisle reminded me this is the way it works in our world only. The human world works differently. He reminded me that I couldn’t treat Bella like a vampire and just claim her. It wasn’t that simple. I would have to let her get to know me, decide she likes me, and then love me. Then and only then I could make her my mate. He warned me that she had free will and not to forget it. If she didn’t accept my claim then I was to walk away and we’d move on somewhere else.

I wouldn’t let that happen. I knew she was for me. Alice saw it and no one bet against Alice. I just had to do the footwork to make the vision come true. This was the part that was so frustrating. Alice was still refusing to tell me her visions. She was hiding something from me about Bella. Whatever it was, it wouldn’t stop me from gaining her love and commitment. I was confident I could win her love. I just needed to be my usual charming self and dazzle her.

I was sitting in my room listening to classical music with my eyes closed. I had already showered and gotten dressed from my hunt. I heard Emmett and Jasper playing a video game downstairs. I couldn’t wait until I’d get to see her again and actually talk to her. I was bothered last night that I couldn’t hear her mind when she was talking to Alice. I didn’t know what to make of that so I’d need to focus more clearly today. I’d certainly heard that punk’s thoughts when he was thinking about Bella. It was hard not to go over and teach him some manners last night. She may not be mine yet, but I knew she would be. I hadn’t even spoken to her yet and I already felt an attraction toward her that I haven’t felt toward anyone in 100 years.

I opened my eyes and looked at my watch. It was about time to leave. I could feel the anticipation building in me.

Jasper called from downstairs. “Relax, Edward. You’ll see her soon.”

Emmett started laughing. “Eddie Boy has it bad already.”

I just got up and headed downstairs. “Emmett, I hate that name. I’ve been telling you that for over 50 years. When do you think you’ll remember?”

“Probably not for at least another 150 years, but feel free to keep reminding me. Eddie.”

I felt the waves of calm coming from Jasper. “Edward, you can take the time now to chase Emmett and beat him up, or we can go see Bella. Your choice.”

“Fine. Emmett, remind me to get you later.”

Esme called from the garden as we headed to my Volvo to leave. “You boys behave. Edward, I can’t wait to meet your Bella this evening. I’ll be sure to get some snacks from the store for her.”
“Thanks, Esme. We’ll see you later.” We drove out of the drive heading to Port Angeles. Of course, having lived here before, I knew where the mall had been built. I thought over Esme’s comment ‘My Bella.’

I smiled; I liked the sound of that.

3 comments:

  1. I like the way your fiction take. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way Edward is clinical about making Bella "his mate". What a caveman! haha, too cute that he's jealous of Mike Newton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pacing in this story is wonderful, allowing us to really enjoy the journey, savoring each bit of progress along the way. I'm looking forward to seeing Edward move beyond thinking of her as simply a woman he's fascinated by and attracted on to really knowing and appreciating her personality, intelligence, sense of humor, and all those other wonderful traits that move us beyond a crush and on to really loving someone wholeheartedly, faults and all. Should be a wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete