Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chapter 8


Chapter 8

BPOV

I came awake with a yawn and stretched my spine. I felt so relaxed. My eyes opened to a quiet white living room. I remembered I was watching a movie with the Cullens before I fell asleep. My head was resting on someone's chest. I sat up quickly embarrassed to find I was sleeping on Edward.

“Oh my God, Edward, I’m so sorry. I don’t know why I’m so tired. I’m sorry for laying on you.”

He reached to brush my hair back from my face smiling. “There’s no reason to apologize, Bella. You’re fine. I honestly didn’t mind holding you.” He seemed to hesitate before saying, “I really liked holding you,”

I didn’t think I could turn any redder. I looked away and said the only thing that came to mind. “I guess I really should go now. I’m sure Charlie’s hungry and wondering where I am. Do you know where Alice went?”

“Why do you need Alice?” he asked. His brow furrowed in confusion.

“Well, I can’t walk home,” Duh.

“I can give you a ride, Bella. I’d really like to, if you don’t mind,” he offered.

I debated riding home alone with Edward. I didn’t want to impose on him, but I did need a ride. “Okay, I’d appreciate it,” I said. “Thanks. I just need to get my bags. Do you know where Emmett would have put them?”

He told me my bags were by the door and followed me to get them. He had placed his hand on my back again. I was really starting to like the feel of it. His hand was so cool. It made my heart skip.

I dug in my bag from the bookstore and pulled out Alice’s CD and Edward’s copy of Romeo and Juliet.

“I hope you didn’t think I’d forget our little agreement.” I grinned up at him as I handed him the book.

“I’d never forget, Bella. When do you want to start?” He smiled back at me.

I knew I had things to do tomorrow since I’d been gone all day today and I worked the following morning. “How about day after tomorrow in the afternoon? Would that work for you or do you already have plans?”

I hoped he could meet, but didn’t want to presume. I was being kind of pushy demanding that he read a book he obviously didn’t like. I don’t know what came over me at the store to even suggest this.

I was so relieved when he said he didn’t and offered to pick me up. I couldn’t wait to share my love of Shakespeare with him.

We left in his car and I gave him directions to my home. It was a quiet ride. He turned on his stereo and I recognized the music right away. It was Claire De Lune by DeBussy. It always reminded me of my mother. Sometimes I really missed having her in my life. I knew she was happy and that’s what was important. But still, sometimes it was hard.

“It’s one of my favorites too,” he said. Edward reached over and held my hand for the rest of the drive. It was really nice.

He pulled up to the curb in front of my house and opened the door for me. I got out and looked towards the house. I hoped Charlie didn’t look out the window. I didn’t want to go into explanations tonight why I let a strange boy (to Charlie all boys were strange unless he’d known them since birth) drive me home.

We stood there while I tried to find a nice way to let him know I didn’t want him to come up to the house in case he was planning on it. He reached to tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear. Then he surprised me by leaning in and kissing my cheek.

“Well, goodnight then Bella,” he whispered as he stepped back.

My breath hitched and I could feel my heart racing. I blushed so red I was sure he’d be able to see it even in the dark. I really liked it. His lips were so cool on my cheek. I briefly wondered what it would be like to have a real kiss from him.

“Goodnight, Edward,” I whispered when I found my voice.

I ran to the door stumbling on the way, naturally. Fortunately, I didn’t dive face first into the sidewalk. I really didn’t want Edward to see that. That would have been even more embarrassing than anything else I’ve done all day.

I went in the house and let Charlie know I was home as I ran up the stairs to put away my things. He yelled up and offered to order pizza instead of me having to cook tonight. I was really grateful. I couldn’t think what to cook for us. My head was still spinning from Edward’s kiss.

I sat on my bed absentmindedly brushing my fingers across where he kissed me on the cheek. It was just a peck, but it was so sweet. I didn’t know what to make of it. Did he like me? I couldn’t figure him out. He was annoying yet there was just something about him…

My cell phone ringing brought me out of my stupor. I dug in my purse until I found it. It was Mike. I felt guilty that I never called him today.

“Hey Mike,” I said.

“Hey, Bella, where were you today?” he asked. “I thought we were going to the movies.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry. I just got in.” I answered.

“I don’t believe you,” he accusing jokingly. “You hate shopping.”

“Yeah, well Alice and Rosalie love it unfortunately,” I sighed in response. “I didn’t think they’d ever want to leave. After, we went to their house and just hung out a while. I’m sorry about the movie.”

“Well, I guess that’s alright. So what are you doing tomorrow?” he asked. “It’s supposed to be sunny. We could hang out at the beach if you want and take a picnic?”

I thought about his offer. I needed to do some cleaning round here, but I felt guilty not going with him today. I sighed and answered, “Sure the beach sounds good Mike. Why don’t you come over around 11:00? That will give me time to get some things done before we go.”

“Great, I’ll call everyone and come get you. ‘Night Bella.” I could hear the enthusiasm in his voice before he hung up.

I put my phone on the charger and went to take a shower before the pizza arrived. When I was done I slipped into a cami and shorts and went down to eat with Charlie. We ate while he watched the game on TV.

“So Bella,” he started, “whose house were you at this evening? Mike called here a dozen times and I didn’t know where to tell him you were.”

I told him about all the Cullens and our shopping trip to the mall. He laughed with me as I described each of the Cullens. He really got a kick out of how I described Alice as a tiny ball of fire. I told him I was going with Mike tomorrow, which seemed to make him happy before heading to bed.

I lay in my bed thinking about Mike. I had thought I was ready to tell Mike ‘yes’ this year. I stroked my cheek again and wrinkled my brow. Now with just that little peck I wasn’t so sure anymore. I rolled over and fell asleep dreaming of a bronze haired god.

**

I woke to the sound of Charlie closing the front door. I heard him pull the cruiser out of the drive heading to the station for the day. I glanced at my clock and saw it was 7:00. I lay there a moment thinking about my dream last night. It was fuzzy now that I was awake. I remembered a bronze god battling with a blonde demon. I couldn’t remember what the battle was about or see their faces. I shrugged and got up to start my day. It was just a dream after all. I don’t know why I felt it had any significance for me.

I threw on some old clothes so I could clean house. I had 4 hours until Mike would pick me up. I needed to do some laundry and get sandwiches made for our picnic. I ran downstairs to grab a granola bar and milk. While I stood propped against the counter eating I thought back to my dream. I wished I could remember more. I knew it mattered. I felt like I should know them. I swallowed the last of my milk and decided to give up. I had things to do anyway.

***

I slipped on denim shorts and a purple v-neck tank top for the beach and put my hair up in a ponytail before grabbing my flip-flops and heading back to the kitchen to finish the sandwiches. I was putting the last of the snacks in a cooler when I heard the doorbell.

“Hey Mike,” I yelled, “It’s open.”

I heard the front door open, “Bells, where are you?” Mike yelled back. I heard his footsteps coming down the hall.

“Kitchen. Come grab the ice chest for me.”

He came into the kitchen. He was wearing his old football jersey and basketball shorts with his converse. He came up behind me wrapping his arms around my middle pulling me back into a hug. He leaned down and kissed my bare shoulder.

“How’s my girl this morning?” he said playfully.

I put my arm over his to hug him back feeling a little uncomfortable now. He’s always holds me like this and we do kiss on occasion. I don’t know why suddenly it bothered me. It must be due to Edward's kiss last night.

“I’m good,” I said stepping away from his embrace. “So where is everyone?”

He pouted a little at me pulling away from him. “Ben and Angela are meeting us there. Eric and Tyler couldn’t come today. Their dad’s put them to work since the sun is out.”

I laughed at that. We don’t get many sunny days in Forks so when we do everyone tries to take advantage of it one way or another. Teens like to head to the beach and adults want to work in their yards.

“Alright, well I’m ready so we can go,” I said.

He picked up the ice chest and I followed him out to his truck. He put the ice chest in the bed of the truck and went to get in leaving me to get in on my own. That got me for a moment. Yesterday I never opened a door for myself. Edward was always opening doors for me acting a true gentleman. I guess I never noticed this about Mike before.

We drove off toward First Beach and I tried to dismiss the thoughts in my head. Mike was blaring the stereo so loud it was impossible to talk so I had nothing to do but think. I realized I was starting to compare Mike to Edward. I had no reason to. Edward didn’t like me that way, but putting him next to Mike just made Mike’s lesser qualities more obvious. I’d never thought about before how it felt to have the little things like opening doors done for me.

We pulled up on the beach and I saw Ben’s car already there. He and Angela were gathering driftwood for a fire later. Mike jumped out grabbing the ice chest and heading over to them. I sat there a minute with my lips pursed. This was stupid but it was starting to really bug me. He turned back seeing me still sitting in the truck.

“Hey, you coming or what?” he yelled.

I got out of the truck mumbling, “Yeah I’m coming…jerk.”

I shook myself letting my annoyance go. As I followed him I made myself think of all the things I liked about Mike. Opening doors was just a little thing after all and I’ve lived my whole life without anyone doing this for me. I started counting them on my fingers; 1-he’s tall, 2-he’s built really well being a football player, 3-he’s good looking, 4-he’s a great kisser, 5-he likes me, 6-he’s a great dancer, 7-he has a sense of humor, 8-Charlie likes him, 9-hmm, he likes me. Ok how sad is it that I can’t even get to 10 and 9 is just a repeat.

I decided to put it all from my mind and focus on having a good time. Maybe this would help me get over this feeling.

***

It was late. We had a wonderful day after I got over being irritated with him. We’d played football on the beach for a while, guys against the girls, their idea of course. They loved tackling us, which they did frequently. Each tackle brought a kiss, on the forehead, the cheek, my neck, my shoulders, my lips, and the most daring of all the ‘v’ of my top. The last one made me blush beet red and I punched his shoulder for it.

As the day turned to evening he and Ben lit the fire and we sat around eating and talking. Ben sat with Angela up against his chest in front of him and Mike held me the same way. They finally said they needed to go. I knew they wanted some private time since they were a couple. Mike told me he’d take me home. He knew I wouldn’t go to White Gravel Rd (where all the kids go to make out) with him since we weren’t dating.

He walked me to the door carrying the empty ice chest and holding my hand. Charlie’s cruiser was in the drive and I could hear the TV coming from the living room. I unlocked the door and Mike followed me in to set the ice chest down in the hall. Charlie heard and got up to come greet us.

“Hi Dad,” I said kissing his cheek.

“Hi Bells,” he gave me a hug before turning to Mike.

“Hey Mike. Good to see you,” Charlie said shaking his hand. “So did you kids have a good time today?”

“Hi Charlie,” he answered. “Yeah it was fun. I took Bella to the beach with Ben and Angela.”

“Good, well why don’t you come in and watch the game for a while. You got time?”

I went to the kitchen to get a couple of drinks for Mike and I while they went to watch the game. I was washing my hands at the sink staring out the window. I knew what Charlie was doing. He really liked Mike and figured the more time we spent together the sooner I’d make up my mind. He didn’t understand why I wouldn’t just tell him ‘yes’ and lately I didn’t understand it either. I saw something moving through the trees. I squinted trying to make it out. It was moving too fast. I assumed it was an animal, but it seemed awfully tall. I shrugged; maybe it was just my eyes playing tricks on me.

I went back to the living room and sat on the sofa next to Mike. I curled my feet under me and he draped his arm over my shoulder pulling me closer as I handed him his drink.

“Thanks Bells,” he said kissing the top of my head tucking it into his shoulder. I stayed like this for a few minutes.

A breeze caught the curtains making them billow into the room away from the windows. I thought I saw movement again outside. Mike kissed my head again, hugging me closely. I felt a little annoyance building so I pulled away sitting up against the back of the sofa.

“Is something wrong?” he asked puzzled by my sudden distance.

Charlie was looking at us now too. Now I was really annoyed. Why couldn’t they both just leave me alone?

“No I’m fine Mike,” I said letting a little annoyance come through in my voice. “I guess I’m just tired. I should probably go to bed, after all I’m supposed to help open the store tomorrow morning.”

He took the hint, thank God. “Yeah, I guess I should be going too. I’ll see you in the morning.”

I walked him to the door. I started feeling guilty for kicking him out so I stepped onto the porch with him to say ‘goodnight’.

“I’m sorry for being short with you Mike. I don’t know what came over me. I guess I really am tired.”

“It’s okay Bells,” he said smiling. “You know I’d never hold it against you.”

I let him pull me into a hug and put my arms around his neck hugging him back.

“So are you ever going to give me an answer Bella?” he asked softly.

“I’m sorry Mike. I don’t want to string you along. I’m just not ready yet. Soon, okay?”

“Yeah, that’s fine. You know I want you. I really like you Bells. Can I give you a little incentive?” he asked brushing my hair off my face.

I knew what he was asking so I nodded.

He leaned down and kissed me. It was gentle for a second before he let his tongue brush my lower lip. I opened my mouth for him to enter. He deepened the kiss pulling me tightly against him. He thrust his hands in the back pockets of my shorts so he could press my hips into his. I could feel him against me and instead of making me tingle like it always did before, it suddenly disgusted me. I heard a loud noise coming from the forest. I didn’t know what it was but it helped snap me out of it. I broke the kiss and pushed him back.

“Enough, Mike,” I said. I was frustrated with him and for some reason felt guilty for letting him kiss me like this.

He put his hands on my hips, putting his forehead on mine. “I’m sorry Bella, I just want you so bad sometimes. Please say you’ll be my girlfriend,” he pleaded. “You know how much I like you and you know Charlie likes me too.”

Now I was pissed.. “Don’t drag my father into this Mike. This is between you and me. I’ll give you my answer when I’m ready and not before. If you’re tired of waiting for me I’m sure Jessica would welcome you with open arms.”

He tried to calm me down. “I’m sorry Bella. You know I don’t want Jessica. Please don’t be mad at me.” He tried to pout and look contrite. It wasn’t working on me tonight.

“Just go home Mike, alright. I’ll see you in the morning at work.”

“Okay,” he sighed. “Goodnight Bells.” He turned and walked to his truck.

I stood and watched him drive away. I felt bad for what I said to him. I just didn’t understand what was happening to me. I’d never pushed Mike away in the past unless he tried to go further. I liked kissing him, but tonight it had felt wrong. I crossed my arms over my chest and stood a moment longer before going back in the house. Something was definitely moving in the forest. I kept getting glimpses of it, but it wouldn’t stand still long enough for me to make out what it was. I shivered and turned to go back in the house.

While I lay in bed that night, I thought about Mike’s actions today and the kiss on the porch. Then I thought about my dream again. Could the blonde demon in my dream be Mike? And if so, who was the bronze haired god and what were they fighting for? I threw my arm over my eyes in an attempt to shut off my mind. What was the point in thinking about it? Mike wasn’t a demon and there was no bronze god in my life. A flash of Edward’s face the other night when he kissed my cheek came to me. I thought about him for a moment. He had bronze hair. I groaned in frustration and pulled the covers over my head willing myself to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment