Sunday, November 8, 2009

Chapter 5

EPOV

We arrived at the mall and tracked the girls to the food court. I couldn’t wait to see my Bella. I could hear Alice and Rosalie’s conversation with Bella. She was asking about our family. We all pulled up chairs to sit around them with me next to Bella.

Alice had just introduced Emmett and me when he jumped up, acting with his usual exuberance. I hadn’t even had a chance to say ‘hello’ to her before Emmett snatched her up in an Emmett style bear hug. She was in tight jeans that showed off her figure to her advantage. What got my attention the most was the short blue top she was wearing. I could tell Emmett was hugging her bare skin and I was jealous. I should be the only one to wrap my arms around her.

“Hey, Bella! I’m sooo glad to meet you. You have no idea,” he laughed. “I really like my new little sis, Edward. She really smells good. She’d make a nice tasty treat. We’re going to have so much fun.”

“Emmett,” she squeaked, “I can’t breathe!”

I growled at Emmett. He was hurting her. “Emmett let her go. Now!”

Her scent hit me as she sat down next to me. She made my mouth water. The venom was pooling so fast I had to swallow a few times to get it under control. She smelled of strawberries and freesias. Good enough to eat. If I had her, I’d never hunger for anything else. I started thinking about what she would taste like. I imagined spreading kisses down her throat, sinking my teeth into her neck, her blood pooling in my mouth, as I would savor her flavor.

“Enough Edward! I’m getting conflicting visions now. Control yourself!”

Alice and Jasper quickly pulled me away from the table until I could gain control of myself. I felt wave after wave of calm hit me.

“Edward, I’m sorry. I should have warned you,” Alice apologized.

“Apologize for what Alice?” Jasper asked.

He was still blocking me from returning to Bella, obviously sensing the conflict still raging inside me. I needed to be with Bella; both because she was my mate and for her blood. It was mine. She was mine. She would belong to me or my monster. At this point, I didn’t know who would win. I could do nothing but continue to growl at them coming between us.

“Edward. Remember last night I told you there would be problems if you chose Bella?”

“I remember. It’s her scent isn’t it?” I asked. “I swear I’ve never smelled someone so sweet.” I growled low in my chest at the memory of her scent, earning another wave of calm washing over me. I let Jasper know I was in control again.

“Edward! You have to stop or you’re going to scare her away,” Alice warned. “But, yes, that’s part of it. You need to know Edward, she’s your singer. That’s why you knew she was your mate last night. Even with her scent masked by the people around her your monster sensed her there.”

“So that’s how he’s going to overcome her natural aversion to us. Her blood will recognize him as well,” Jasper theorized.

“Well, not exactly,” she hedged.

“What else Alice? What are you hiding?” Jasper and I asked.

“Later, I promise. But now you need to do some damage control Edward. She thinks you’re kind of a jerk right now. You don’t want to feed that thought.”

“Later you will tell me everything. You will not keep secrets about my mate from me,” I warned.

“Alice, whatever is going on with her I want to know,” Jasper demanded. “I need to know if she’s any kind of threat to you.”

His monster was close to the surface too, looking for any danger to Alice. I wouldn’t allow him near Bella if he was going to become a threat to her. I growled low in my chest and began to sink into a crouch forgetting where we were. Jasper matched my pose.

Alice punched both of us in the arm to get our attention. She reached up and kissed Jasper’s cheek before glaring at me. “You two can have your pissing contest later.” She turned back to me, “Wouldn’t you rather spend time with Bella or do you want me to take her home so she can go out with that boy?”

“Never,” I growled. “She’s mine. Fine, but we will talk later.”

“Alright. Later, I promise,” Alice sighed. “Jasper, I promise Bella isn’t any kind of threat to us. So can we just sit back down?”

As I sat back down beside her, I had to remind the monster in me that I would have her for eternity, just not as a meal. The monster would get to taste her once when I finally turned her. The trade off of eternity with her by my side was worth the sacrifice of giving up her blood. I had to stop breathing until I could get this feeling under control. I would never forgive myself if I hurt her and lost eternity.

I took her hand in mine unable to resist touching her for the first time and kissed the back of her hand. “Hi Bella, it’s an honor to meet you.”

“God Edward! Could you be more formal? ‘It’s an honor to meet you.’ P-leeasee.” Emmett smirked at me.

She looked into my eyes. I knew last night her eyes were brown. But in the light of day…I could get lost in their depth. There was so much expression in the deep chocolate of her eyes with her long lashes framing her soul. And her face, she was an angel sent from heaven just to save me. I would gladly worship at the altar that is Bella for the rest of my unnatural life.

I was pleased to see I could dazzle her. It would come in handy in my pursuit of her. I decided to tap into her mind to see what she was thinking. I realized I couldn’t hear her mind. I gazed harder into her eyes focusing all my energy onto her thoughts. There was nothing there; complete silence. It was frustrating and a relief at the same time. It was peaceful, quiet.

Jasper leaned his head into Alice’s shoulder, trying to smother a laugh by clearing his throat. “Damn Edward! Turn down the emotions a little would you? You’re starting to make me feel for her.”

I kicked him under the table and frowned at him, then turned back to Bella. “So, how’s the shopping going?” I looked at all the bags on the next table and sighed. I guess this would be the price I paid for having her. I would be spending eternity with a shopaholic just like Jasper and Emmett.

“Don’t worry so much Edward! They’re not hers. She’s very frustrating to shop with. I’m sure I can fix that though.”

Alice spoke up for Bella’s benefit since she saw me frown. “Well, Edward, Rosalie and I are going to have to work on Bella. It turns out she hates shopping. She only purchased two bags, a couple of shirts and shorts. The rest are ours.”

“Feel better? But don’t get too comfortable I’ll have eternity to change that.”

I smiled to myself. I knew for Bella I’d gladly take her shopping everyday of eternity if it made her happy.

Bella was getting a strange look on her face. I noticed her starring at Rosalie and Emmett. He was kissing her neck and whispering things that made me cringe. I was grateful that Bella didn’t have vampire hearing.

Before I could put a stop to it Jasper jumped in. “Uh oh Edward.” He turned to Alice. “Maybe we should explain our family dynamic to Bella before she gets completely weirded out guys. I think she’s fixing to make a run for it.”

“Sorry Edward,” Emmett and Rosalie thought at the same time. “I think we’re going to cut out of here soon and head back to the house.”

“Oh my God, Bella!” Alice looked at her with wide eyes as it dawned on all of us what she must be thinking. “I didn’t even think about what you must be thinking of us. We’re all adopted. Jasper and Rosalie are brother and sister. Edward and Emmett are my brothers. Carlisle and Esme, that’s our mother, adopted us when we were younger. We just all kind of fell for each other.”

Bella looked relieved. I could tell Jasper was helping.

“You’re welcome, Edward,” Jasper thought. “We’re all here for you, man. We want you to have her as much as you do.”

“That’s good to know. I was starting to wonder. I’m glad you all have someone,” she smiled.

“Well, all of us except Edward here.” Alice cut her eyes over to me.

“Enough pussy-footing around. I’m bored with all the chitchat. Let’s get to business, shall we?” Rosalie spoke up, “So Bella, any hot guys around town?”

“Way to be subtle, Rosalie,” Alice mumbled.

“Well,” Bella started. “There are a few.” She seemed to think about her answer. “Alice met them last night at the dance. There’s Eric Yorkie, Tyler Crowley and Mike Newton to name a few. They’re all good friends and on the football team at school. You’ll have to go to the games when school starts up.”

I hated hearing her say she thought Mike Newton was attractive. If she only knew what went on in that boy’s head last night, she’d run straight to me. Maybe I should tell her sometime.

“Don’t you dare! Jasper and I have this covered already. Let it be her decision to get rid of him.”

“Fine. But I mean it, Alice. I don’t want him around her.”

“Don’t worry. He won’t be around long.”

“Well, are you dating any of them?” Rosalie persisted.

“Not really. Lauren has had a crush on Tyler since junior high. You’ll probably run into her at some point this summer or when school starts. She’s very territorial about Tyler even though he doesn’t give her the time of day, so none of the girls will date him. Trust me, she is someone you do not want to cross. She can make your life a living hell. Believe me, I know,” she laughed.I didn’t like hearing that anyone upset my girl but I was glad to hear it kept another male away from Bella. I didn’t know whether to thank this Lauren girl or go after her. I guess I’ll decide when I see what she’s like for myself.

“Eric, I’ve known him forever. After watching him eat pill bugs on the playground as a kid, it just ruins any idea for letting him get that mouth anywhere near me.” She laughed and looked like she was remembering something. We were all laughing with her at that comment. That was two boys I wouldn’t need to worry about. That left one.

“Come on already! I swear it’s like pulling teeth to get her to the point. I want to go home. Emmett and I need some bonding time after this. Especially if you’re bringing her back to the house tonight.” Rosalie persisted, “And what about, what did you say his name was? Mike?” “Maybe that will do it.”

I know Rosalie was only trying to help me, but her attitude was starting to piss me off. Couldn’t she and Emmett go one night without acting like animals?

I could hear Emmett chuckle under his breathe. “Just wait ‘til she’s yours Edward. Then talk to me about my time with Rosalie.”

“Well,” she started, “like I was telling Alice last night. Mike has had a crush on me since the end of freshman year and has been asking me out ever since. I do like him. He’s cute and sweet and funny, but can also make you want to rip your hair out in frustration sometimes.” She seemed to think about her next statement. “I’m thinking of maybe, finally giving in this year and see if it goes anywhere.”

I was about to go hunt this boy down and eliminate the competition. I didn’t realize I was gripping the table so tight until I heard the crack.

Jasper smirked at me. “I got this.”

I saw a look of annoyance cross her face. “Thanks, Jasper. I owe you.”

“Don’t worry Edward. Alice and I are keeping a tab for you when this is over. Alice already knows what she wants. Be afraid. Be very afraid.”

“Bella,” Alice asked, “didn’t you say you wanted to go to the bookstore while we were here?”

She looked up at Alice and then down at her watch. “Yeah, I did. I’m not sure I have time though today. I’m supposed to call Mike to catch a movie tonight.”

I started growling at the thought of her alone with him in a dark theater.

“I’m sure we have plenty of time, Bella. We’re already here so why don’t we head over. There’s a magazine I want that I couldn’t find in Forks and I really, really want to get it.” She pouted, “Please?”

Bella laughed. “Sure, why not. Mike and I can go to a movie another time. I’m sure he and the guys are so wrapped up in video games he won’t even notice.”

Rosalie said she wasn’t interested in the bookstore, so she and Emmett were just going to take the bags and head home in Alice’s car. “Finally! Come on you big teddy bear. Let’s get you home.”

“Yeah, baby! Grrr!” I swear I’m going to destroy every Austin Powers movie he owns.

I mumbled for Emmett to grab Bella’s bags also. Now she will have to come to our house later. That would prevent her from being able to make any plans tonight with that vile boy. I said I’d take everyone else home.

We said goodbye to them. I cringed as Emmett’s thoughts got more graphic the further away they got. Bella explained we’d have to drive to the bookstore since it’s a couple of miles from the mall. She looked around like she was missing something and shrugged. I secretly smiled.

We walked to my car. I loved having her beside me. I couldn’t wait to be able to touch her again. It had stopped raining, but was still cloudy. I opened the car door for her.

“Thanks, Edward,” she said.

I gazed at her and smiled. I got in as Alice and Jasper got in the back. She pointed out a couple shops to Alice for them to come back another day. This was good. It meant she was planning on spending more time with my sisters.

“That’s usually where everyone shops for more formal dresses,” she was explaining. “We have a couple of dances at school during the year including prom.”

I daydreamed of dancing with Bella. Holding her in my arms and spinning her around the floor while she saw only me.

We arrived at the bookstore and I opened the car door for her. I then opened the door to the store for her. She seemed to appreciate the gesture. I’m sure Mike isn’t as thoughtful.

I was hit with her scent again as she brushed by me into the store. I had to stop breathing again. I realized this was going to be a little more difficult than I first thought. I’d need to hunt more often, especially before I spent time with her.

Alice and Jasper headed to the magazines. “Edward, Jasper and I are going to leave so you have some time alone to visit. I’ll be watching if you need me.”

I looked down at my angel. “So what section did you want to look in, Bella?” This should help me figure her out more since I can’t rely on my ability to peg her personality.

“I really like the classics. I need a new copy of Romeo and Juliet,” she said. “My copy has finally fallen apart. I also want to get Pride and Prejudice.”

I knew Alice and Jasper were listening across the store. I heard Jasper laugh. “Maybe I can interest her in history also. Then we’d have stuff to talk about also.”

I was jealous at the idea of Bella spending time with any male other than myself.

“She is going to be my sister also. You’ll have eternity with her. You can share. I share Alice with you for your big debates.”

He had a point there. Alice and I are really close. I guess I could learn to share, after I have her to myself for a few decades.

“I like the classics as well,” I said. “However, I will never understand Romeo and Juliet. You do know they die in the end don’t you?” I rolled my eyes. Really, Romeo and Juliet? She can do better than that nonsense.

She glared up at me and put her hands on her hips. She’s even beautiful when she’s angry. Wait, she’s angry with me. What did I do?

“Yes, obviously, I know they die,” she stated. “I did say I need a new copy.” She was really getting angry.

“Alice? A little help would be nice right about now!”

Jasper and Alice showed up quickly. Jasper was calming her down. I messed up. Note to self, don’t question Bella’s choice in books ever again. I frantically was trying to figure out how to fix this.

“So Bella, did you find what you were looking for?” Alice asked. “Nice going idiot.”

“No, not yet. Your brother was just explaining my lack of taste in books.” She was glaring at me again.

“I’m sorry. Honestly, I didn’t mean anything by it Bella. Please don’t be mad.” I decided a little dazzling might help. Yeah, it did.

“It’s fine, Edward.” She reached for a second copy of Romeo and Juliet off the shelf and handed it to me. “This is how you can make it up to me,” she grinned up at me. “You’re going to read it with me and then we’ll discuss the book together. Deal?”

This was better than anything I could have dreamed. She was creating an opportunity for us to continue spending time together, just the two of us. I knew some books I’d like her to read as well. I began to picture our life together sitting in Carlisle’s library or in what would become our room, reading and discussing literature while listening to music. I smiled at her, pulling out all the stops. “Deal.”

Alice was having a problem keeping her feet on the ground. “This is perfect, Edward! I can see the two of you discussing books in your room. You look so happy!”

She picked up a couple of other books and a CD that Alice told her she could buy for her to make up for the blouse last night, her anger at me forgotten. We walked to the register to pay. She set her stuff down and was getting out her wallet. I snatched her books up handing them to the cashier. No way she was paying for anything ever again if I have anything to say about it.

“Edward, give me my books.”

“Nope. I’m buying. It’s the least I can do for upsetting you earlier.” I tried to hand my credit card to the cashier, but he wasn’t paying any attention to me. His eyes and thoughts were focused on my Bella!

I started growling. I’m starting to think I’m going to need to fight the entire human male population for her.

He looked like he was probably in college. Just great! Isn’t that what all girls dream of, an older man? Well, I’m 117. How’s that for older?

“Hey, beautiful. I’m Josh. Do you live around here?” He was flirting with her! “Baby! You are just too fine for words. I’m definitely going to have to get your number. Who knew a bookworm could be so fine? I thought this job was going to be nothing but nerds. I need to be sure to work every chance I can just for the opportunity to help you out.”

“Hi. No, I live over in Forks,” she answered him.

I could tell she was embarrassed. She was blushing. It heated the blood in her cheeks, which just made her scent even more potent to me. I needed to get her out of here before I lost control. Whether it was going to be with the monster that was thirsting for her blood or the monster that wanted to rip this boy to shreds I wasn’t sure.

“Edward, calm down! I’m afraid I’m going to have to pull you out of here. Bella’s getting stressed out.” Jasper had his hand on my shoulder bombarding me with waves of calm. It wasn’t working.

I stuck my credit card in the guy’s face. “Excuse me! Do you mind taking care of this or do I need to call the manager?”

He turned to look at me smirking and rolling his eyes. “Whatever, dude. Is she yours?” “There’s no way she’s with this guy and if she is, I can certainly snatch her away him.”

I was boiling now. I could feel Jasper trying desperately to calm me down. I needed all the help I could get not to tear through the counter to get this punk.

Bella looked like she was going to say something to him. I didn’t want to hear her say she wasn’t mine. She was mine even if she wasn’t aware of it yet. “Alice, get her out of here now!”

“Come on Bella. Let’s wait outside. Here, Jasper.” She said handing him her magazines as she pulled Bella out the door. “Calm down Edward! You’re starting to scare Bella!”

I waited until they were both outside. Jasper was still trying desperately to calm me down. I felt guilty when Alice said I was scaring Bella. I don’t want her afraid of me. I’d never hurt her.

I stared intently at the insignificant boy in front of me, letting my true nature shine through. “I don’t want to you think of or speak to my Bella with anything less than total respect ever again. In fact if she ever comes in here again you will run the other direction. Do I make myself clear?”

His eyes got big and he put his hands up like he would ward me off. I grabbed the receipt and Bella’s bag and walked outside to her and Alice. I pinched the bridge of my nose as I was finally starting to calm down some.

“What was that about?” Bella asked me looking back at Josh through the window. I noticed he took my words to heart and was making a point not to look at her.

“Nothing,” I growled at her, “just teaching some manners. Let’s go okay?”

I really just wanted to get away from here. I needed to get control again. I placed my hand on the small of her back to steer her toward the car. I couldn’t resist slipping my thumb up under her shirt to touch bare skin. Touching her calmed me as I knew it would. She didn’t even know yet how much control she had over my every thought or action. From the moment I chose her, every step I made was with Bella in mind; her health, her comfort, her feelings. And how to get her to accept my claim. I would talk with Alice more later tonight.

I heard Alice giggle. “You’re fine Edward. She likes it. Doesn’t she Jasper?”

“That’s all you, Brother.”

I opened the car door for her and handed her the bag. Everyone got in and I steered us home. I was starting to relax remembering what Bella’s skin felt like under my hand. I knew her other bags were at our house and she’d have to come home with me to get them. That also meant I would be driving her home later, just the two of us. I was looking forward to the evening.

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading The Perfect Wife, but this one is very good too. Thank you for sharing your imagination. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice chapter. Hopefully our nice couple will get to know each other better in a very short time ;-) I'm waiting for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading your story I was also thinking Of TWLIGHT the Book By SM. How there is similarities, but I love the way you go on about going to the book store what is going threw their minds. What they are saying. I love the way you write. I am looking forward to reading your complete story. Romance at it's best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really good. :D
    Are you going to continue this more after The Perfect Wife is finished?
    'Cause I really like that too.
    Hahaha.
    Hopefully there will be more.

    ReplyDelete